2001 JUNE 6-12 ISSUE
Stop Further Consideration of 'Rear-area' Support for U.S. Forces
JCP Chair Shii Kazuo in his first one-on-one debate with the prime minister urged him to give up studying ways for Japan's Self-Defense Forces to join with the U.S. Forces in operations outside Japan.
Government 'Understanding' of U.S. Missile Defense
Akahata's editorial says that the Koizumi Cabinet's "understanding" of the U.S. missile defense plan and its participation in joint research is a manifestation of LDP politics subordinate to the U.S.
Bad Loans in Japan Offer Lucrative Business for U.S. 'Vulture Funds'
The Sunday Akahata reveals that investment funds with foreign capital affiliation find lucrative business opportunities in bad loans which Japanese major banks write off.
*Unacceptable government 'understanding' of U.S. missile defense -- Akahata editorial, June 12, 2001
* Hiroshima hibakusha protest U.S. NMD plan
* A-bomb survivors to increase tours abroad on anti-nuclear weapons mission
* Korean hibakusha petitions government to accept court ruling on health allowance payment
* Parliament apologizes to former leprosy patients
* Elementary school massacre shocks Japan
* Nippon Steel Corp. workers feel 'JCP effect'
* Dietmembers in a symposium call for review of family leave law
* JCP introduces bill for revision of family leave law in Upper House
*Married women employees call for government guidance to end discrimination
* JCP proposes measures to help low-income elderly people in need of nursing care
* Bad loans in Japan offers lucrative business for U.S. 'vulture funds'
* Extravagant public works projects which destroy environment must be ended -- Akahata editorial, June 7, 2001 (Excerpts)
*Japan's GDP decline again
*JCP Shii calls for return of Yokosuka Port from U.S. Forces
* JCP Shii urges P.M. Koizumi to stop further consideration of 'rear-area' support for U.S. Forces
*Textbook praising war of aggression must not enter classrooms
*Asian people join in action against textbook praising war of aggression
* JCP TV ads released
*Citizens groups issue appeal for Tokyo Metropolitan Assembly election
* Korean residents want local suffrage
* JCP Fuwa talks with Chinese Ambassador Chen Jian
* JCP Fuwa meets with Vietnamese Prime Minister Khai