'Urban revival' must be in people's interests, not construction companies' -- Akahata editorial, April 12 (excerpts)
2003 APR 9 - APR 15 NEWS
IN THIS ISSUE
IRAQ WAR SHOWS US HOW WARTIME LEGISLATION WOULD FORCE JAPAN TO ASSIST IN U.S. PREEMPTIVE ATTACKS
Look at the Iraq war and you will get the real aim of the wartime legislation: Japan's participation in U.S. wars.
THIS WAR IS ABOUT U.S. OCCUPATION AND RULE OVER IRAQ
The U.S.-British summit revealed that their attack on Iraq was a war of aggression aimed at occupying and controlling Iraq; it was neither aimed at eliminating Iraq's weapons of mass destruction nor liberating the people of Iraq.
LEARNING LESSONS, WE'LL ACHIEVE JCP ADVANCE IN THE SECOND HALF: JCP
The JCP has gained a valuable foothold for an offensive to turn the tide toward a JCP advance in the second half of the simultaneous local elections.
This war is about U.S. occupation and rule over Iraq -- Akahata editorial, April 10
Stop killing! -- Akahata editorial, April 11
* Gensuikyo in Tokyo calls for withdrawal of U.S.-British troops from Iraq (April 12)
* 2,000 march in anti-war demonstration in Tokyo (April 14)
* Unions and religious groups jointly struggle against wartime bills (April 9)
* Unions and peace organizations hold rally to help increase struggle to block wartime legislation (April 10)
* No contingency legislation serving U.S. preemptive attacks (April 11)
Iraq war shows us how wartime legislation would force Japan to assist in U.S. preemptive wars -- Akahata editorial, April 14
* Diet begins discussing bills on personal information (April 9)
* Learning lessons, we will make efforts to achieve JCP advance in the second half of simultaneous elections -- JCP Standing Executive Committee statement (April 15)
* A JCP candidate defeats an LDP-Komei candidate in Osaka's single-seat constituency (April 14)
* Forces of democracy increased in Tokushima (April 14)
* High school textbooks' criticism of the U.S. watered down (April 9)
* Rengo membership declines (April 12)
* 85 percent say they are anxious about life in old age (April 10)
* JCP works to set a municipal ordinance to stimulate local economy (April 11)
Copyright (c) Japan Press Service Co., Ltd. All right reserved.