Second Koizumi Cabinet goes even further against people's wishes -- Akahata editorial, November 20
2003 NOVEMBER 19 - NOVEMBER 25 NEWS
SECOND KOIZUMI CABINET GOES EVEN FURTHER AGAINST PEOPLE'S WISHES
The Liberal Democratic and Komei parties desperately try to divert public attention from issues like the dispatch of the SDF to Iraq and a consumption tax increase because of the public distrust of Prime Minister Koizumi's government.
U.S. DEFENSE SECRETARY FORCES OKINAWANS TO ENDURE BURDEN FOR U.S. BASES
U.S. Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld's visit to Okinawa revealed that the Japan-U.S. Security Treaty, the legal foundation of the U.S. bases in Japan, is in conflict with the interests of the Japanese people.
A GROUP OF LAWMAKERS FROM 3 PARTIES CALLS FOR A MILITARIST JAPAN
Liberal Democratic, Komei, and Democratic party lawmakers defy the constitutional ban in calling for Japan to exercise the right of collective self-defense, introduce a cruise missile system, and review the Three Non-nuclear Principles.
* Consumption tax and the Constitution are two major issues (November 20)
JAPAN-U.S. MILITARY ALLIANCE
Stop serving the United States as stronghold for its preemptive wars -- Akahata editorial, November 22
* U.S. defense secretary forces Okinawans to endure burden for U.S. bases (November 19)
* Stop the urban counter insurgency training facility for U.S. Green Beret in Okinawa (November 21)
* LDP, Komei, DPJ lawmakers call for a militarist Japan (November 25)
* Lawmakers push for overseas SDF dispatch and constitutional revision (November 25)
* U.S. missile sale promoted at Japan's Constitutional Museum (November 21)
* Buddhists protest against MD (November 21)
* LDP leader urges deregulation of weapons export to create business opportunities (November 22)
* Global Citizens' Assembly held in Nagasaki to eliminate nuclear arms (November 25)
* Business circles' consumption tax increase scenario revealed (November 22)
* Court rules dismissals are invalid (November 19)
* Zenroren unions hold concerted 'Day of Action' (November 20)
* Postal workers sit-in against severe night shift (November 21)
* Telephone counseling finds increasing mental depression (November 25)
* Osaka City mayoral election under way (November 19)
* Shii meets with Chinese Association for International Understanding vice chair (November 19)
Copyright (c) Japan Press Service Co., Ltd. All right reserved.