2004 JANUARY 28 - FEBRUARY 3 NEWS
GOVERNMENT HID THE FACTS FROM PUBLIC
The government and the ruling parties came under fire for trying to dispatch the Ground Self-Defense Force to the southern Iraqi city of Samawah by misleading the public concerning the safety of the area.
JAPAN JOINS BELLIGERENT NATIONS IN IRAQ
JCP Akamine pointed out that with SDF units operating under the command of the occupation authority in Iraq, Japan will be regarded as a belligerent nation.
DON'T TELL US TO 'RESTRUCTURE OUR HOUSEHOLD BUDGET'
Okuda used this speech to call on child-rearing generations to adjust their spending on life insurance premiums in accordance with their income levels. That's none of your business, Mr. Okuda!
SDF DISPATCH TO IRAQ
* Government hid the facts from public regarding sending SDF to Iraq (January 28)
* Japan joins belligerent nations in Iraq: JCP (January 28)
* SDF advance team to Samawah was tasked to collect material showing residents' 'welcome' (January 30)
* SDF units working as part of occupation forces in Iraq in violation of the Constitution (January 31)
* SDF dispatch to Iraq rammed through by ruling parties (February 2)
* Lower House 'approval' of SDF dispatch is unacceptable: JCP Ichida (February 3)
SDF DISPATCH TO IRAQ
* Former minister seeks court injunction preventing troop dispatch to Iraq (January 29)
* Residents protest against use of Narita Airport for military purposes (January 30)
* A teenager collects 5,300 signatures calling for Japan's non-military support to Iraq (February 3)
* Self-Defense Forces dispatch ceremony held amidst protests (February 2)
* Business circles give ratings for LDP and DPJ (January 29)
LABOR AND ECONOMY
* One out of 10 young people out of work (January 31)
Don't tell us to 'restructure our household budget' -- Akahata editorial, February 3
* JCP urges government to request U.S. to BSE-test all beef cattle (January 28)
JAPAN PEACE CONFERENCE
* Peace activists discuss ways to increase struggle against Iraq war/occupation and U.S. military bases worldwide (January 31)
* 1,700 people at Japan Peace Conference (February 2)
* Lower House passes economic sanction bill against North Korea; JCP opposes (January 29)
Akahata the staunch defender of peace marks 76th anniversary -- Akahata editorial, February 1 (Excerpts)
Copyright (c) Japan Press Service Co., Ltd. All right reserved.