'WHAT IS THE IRAQ WAR FOR?' REMAINS THE QUESTION
Does the Koizumi Cabinet keep on uncritically following Bush's arguments and support the U.S. preemptive attack strategy? Does it continue dispatching the SDF to Iraq under U.S. occupation?
NEW U.S. BASE CONSTRUCTION PLAN MUST BE COMPLETELY WITHDRAWN
It is reported that the United States told Japan that the planned return of the U.S. Futenma Air Station site in Okinawa Prefecture might be without the construction of a substitute as the condition of return.
PENSION REFORM BILL INFRINGES ON RIGHT TO LIVE
JCP Chair Shii Kazuo demanded that the government pension 'reform' bill be withdrawn, stating that the planned cutbacks on small national payments amounts to a violation of the constitutional right to live.
'What is the Iraq war for?' remains the question -- Akahata editorial, February 23
* Japanese warships leave for Iraq (Feb.21)
* Pension reform bill infringes on right to live: Shii to Koizumi (Feb.19)
* JCP calls for national budget to be recompiled (Feb.24)
* LDP accelerates moves toward renouncing Article 9 (Feb.20)
* U.S. Futenma relocation plan will come under review (Feb.21)
New U.S. base construction plan must be completely withdrawn -- Akahata editorial, February 21
Despite the strong GDP data, household budgets are in crisis -- Akahata editorial, February 20
* Tax-exempted by Japan, U.S. 'vulture' fund gains 1 trillion yen in windfall profits (Feb.20)
* Citizens urge government not to accept the U.S. request to import beef (Feb.21)
* National health insurance tax forcibly collected (Feb.23)
ABOLISH NUCLEAR WEAPONS
* Bikini Day will provide a new beginning of the movement toward a world free of nuclear weapons or wars (Feb.18)
* A call for 2004 World Conference against A & H Bombs issued (Feb.19)
* Banning North Korean ships' entry goes against 6-party agreement: JCP Shii (Feb.19)
* Japan must contribute to peaceful resolution of North Korea issue: JCP (Feb.19)
* College students discuss Japan's friendship with the Korean Peninsula (Feb.23)
* JCP greets the 35th Congress of the Left Party, Sweden (Feb.20)
* Fuwa discusses Middle East peace and Iraq question with Egyptian ambassador (Feb.24)
Copyright (c) Japan Press Service Co., Ltd. All right reserved.