2004 MARCH 3 - MARCH 9 NEWS
SUPPRESSION OF FREEDOM IN JAPAN
It really happened in a democracy, astounding many people because a citizen's human rights have been violated and his freedom suppressed by the Metropolitan Police Department.
WORKERS TAKE TO STREETS FOR VICTORY IN SPRING STRUGGLE
About 3,000 people assembled at Hibiya Amphitheater for a rally on March 5 in Tokyo calling for a wage increase for all workers and block cutbacks in pensions in their Spring Struggle.
JCP LEADERS MEET WITH MIDDLE EASTERN AND AFRICAN AMBASSADORS
JCP Central Committee Chair Fuwa Tetsuzo and Executive Committee Chair Shii Kazuo had a meeting with ambassadors of Algeria, Uganda, Cameroon, Ghana, Tunisia, Libya, Lebanon, and Jordan.
SUPPRESSION OF CIVIL RIGHTS
Absurdity of suppressing freedom -- Akahata editorial, March 5
Ominous sign over Japan's democracy -- Akahata 'Current' column, March 5
* Tokyo police unjustifiably arrest civil servant for distributing JCP leaflets
* JCP protests against man's arrest for distributing handbills
* JCP and unions protest suppression of citizens' right to political activities
* JCP Shii protests against indictment of government employee
* Best response to phony arrest is to build stronger JCP
* Teachers and religious leaders act for peace
Anti-war actors win Oscars -- Akahata 'Current' column, March 3
* Foil constitutional revision through majority opinion
* Senior LDP Dietmember insists on return to old Imperial Constitution
* DPJ must cleanse itself: JCP Ichida on arrest of ex-DPJ lawmaker Sato
Police's organized off-the-book money-making -- Akahata editorial, March 9
* Abolish state's share of burdens for Dietmembers' pension
*JCP sets up task force to deal with bird flu
*Government is responsible for failing to act promptly: JCP Hatano on bird flu
Joint efforts needed to stop cuts in state aid to local governments -- Akahata editorial, March 4 (excerpts)
* Lower House approves mass-impoverishing national budget
* Refund of elderly people's hospital bills should be made easier
* Zengakuren calls for a good study environment at universities
* Workers take to streets for victory in Spring Struggle
* JCP Fuwa and Shii hold talks with eight Middle East and African ambassadors
Copyright (c) Japan Press Service Co., Ltd. All right reserved.