2004 JULY 28 - AUGUST 3 NEWS
ABOLITION OF NUCLEAR WEAPONS, NOW -- CALL FOR WORLDWIDE ACTION AND SOLIDARITY
The World Conference against A & H Bombs called for the signature campaign "Abolition of Nuclear Weapons, Now - Let there be no more Hiroshimas and no more Nagasakis" to be developed through many creative actions all around the world.
DEMOCRATIC PARTY LEADER STATEMENT UNDERMINES CONSTITUTIONAL PRINCIPLES OF PEACE
Okada now wants to discard Article 9 and proposes enaling Japan to use force, a return to the old Japan which waged wars of aggression.
REVOKE WTO AGREEMENT ON FRAMEWORK FOR TRADE TALKS
JCP Secretariat Head Ichida Tadayoshi said, "We are afraid that these provisions will be used to further press Japan to import more food even though its food self-sufficiency rate is now one of the world's lowest."
2004 WORLD CONFERENCE
* Int'l Meeting of 2004 World Conference against A & H Bombs held (August 3)
* Declaration "Abolition of Nuclear Weapons, Now!"
* JCP Ogata speaks
* Messages from heads of state or government
* Scientists discuss abolishing nuclear weapons and environmental destruction (August 2)
* Extraordinary Diet session opens for only 8 days (July 31)
* Shii:18 JCP seats in parliament shall be given to mitigating people's hardships (July 31)
* Shii in Lower House discusses pension and Constitution (August 3)
* Upper House steering committee should be represented by all parties (July 29)
DPJ Okada's statement on using force destroys constitutional pacifism -- Akahata editorial, August 1
* On 100th day of sit-in 600 resolve to continue opposition to a U.S. new military base (July 28)
* Panel proposes making activities abroad main SDF mission (July 28)
* Japan may consider having military capability to attack enemy bases (July 28)
* A business think tank proposes allowing Japan to use force abroad (July 30)
* Revoke agreement on framework for talks: JCP (August 1)
* Chief cabinet secretary says consumption tax rate increase may be imposed in FY 2007 (July 30)
* Zenroren resolves to make all-out efforts to prevent constitutional revision (July 31)
* Osaka labor bureau raids a textile maker for discriminative labor treatment against JCP members (July 29)
MATTER OF CONSCIENCE
* Teachers who refused to sing 'Kimigayo' are forced to attend correctional session (July30)
* Stop intruding into schools (August 3)
* JCP Shii receives Communist Party of Vietnam politbureau member (August 3)
Copyright (c) Japan Press Service Co., Ltd. All right reserved.