2004 SEPTEMBER 29 - OCTOBER 5 NEWS
STOP THE HAWKISH POLICIES: SHII
JCP Chair Shii Kazuo said, 'The government is taking a wild run on a hawkish course. It is necessary to develop a struggle to foil the political current trying to reverse the path of history.'
RIGHT OF COLLECTIVE SELF-DEFENSE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH JAPAN'S DEFENSE
It is serious that the new Defense Agency director general calls for constitutional revision to pave the way for Japan's exercising the right of collective self-defense.
RESIST U.S. PRESSURE TO SECURE SAFE BEEF
In the recent summit talks, Japanese Prime Minister Koizumi Jun'ichiro and U.S. President George W. Bush agreed on the importance of resuming beef trade between the two countries at the earliest possible date.
Extraordinary Diet Session
* Ichida speaks on JCP issues of concern in extraordinary Diet session (October 5)
Yasukuni Shrine visits
* New foreign minister justifies Yasukuni Shrine visits (September 29)
Revision of defense program outline is in violation of the Constitution -- Akahata editorial, September 29
* Stop the hawkish policies: Shii (September 30)
Right of collective self-defense has nothing to do with Japan's defense -- Akahata editorial, October 2
* Panel calls for new Japan-U.S. security ties for overseas dispatch of SDF (October 5)
* 3,500 Okinawans call for withdrawal of Futenma base (October 4)
* U.S. forces push joint use of Kadena base with Air SDF (October 4)
* Local towns oppose joint use of Kadena base by U.S. and SDF (October 5)
* Two U.S. F15 fighters make emergency landing at Kadena Base after clipping each other in midair (October 5)
* Child abuse prevention law amended (October 1)
FOR DECENT WORK AND LIFE
* 42.7 billion yen paid in back pay for overtime work (September 30)
* Families on relief surpass 900,000-mark (September 30)
Resist U.S. pressure to secure safe beef -- Akahata editorial, October 1
* On-sea demonstration held for higher food-sufficiency (October 2)
NUCLEAR WEAPONS ABOLITION
* Gensuikyo launches October action for elimination of nuclear weapons (October 5)
* Hibakusha living outside of Japan are entitled to medical allowance: Court (September 30)
Japan must support Kyoto Protocol -- Akahata editorial, October 4 (Excerpts)
* Former Chinese forced laborers win compensation (September 30)
* JCP Fuwa receives Malawian Ambassador (October 1)
Copyright (c) Japan Press Service Co., Ltd. All right reserved.