2005 APRIL 20 - APRIL 26 NEWS
INCREASING ANTI-NUCLEAR MOVEMENT
With the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty Review Conference set to begin on May 2, it is important to note the new moves developing to criticize the U.S. obstruction and call for the abolition of nuclear weapons.
RIFT BETWEEN JAPAN AND CHINA SHOULD BE RESOLVED THROUGH TALKS
Japanese Communist Party Executive Committee Chair Shii Kazuo in an interview stated: 'We oppose all forms of violence as a means of expressing opinions. At the same time, it is necessary to take a hard look at issues that have caused the deterioration of Japan-China relations to such an extent.'
WHO IS THE FOOD SAFETY COMMISSION COLLECTING OPINIONS ON BSE
FOR?Japan must listen to citizens' calls for extensive testing to be continued instead of yielding to U.S. pressure for beef imports to be resumed.
NUCLEAR WEAPONS ABOLITION
Increasing anti-nuclear movement -- Akahata editorial, April 24
* Gensuikyo to cooperate with non-aligned countries (April 21, 2005)
*Japan Gensuikyo issues statement on the 7th NPT Review Conference (April 23, 2005)
Committee of Seven
* Appeal Calling for Concrete Efforts for Nuclear Disarmament (April 21, 2005)
* Koizumi says his Yasukuni visit does not conflict with national interests (April 20, 2005)
* Rift between Japan and China should be resolved through talks (April 22, 2005)
* Shii criticizes reports of constitutional research commissions (April 22, 2005)
* Public opposition to constitutional revision is strongly felt (April 23, 2005)
* Democratic party panel approves interim report in favor of amending Article 9 (April 26, 2005)
* Article 9 Association founded in Osaka (April 26, 2005)
* JCP Shii calls for broad cooperation against moves to strengthen U.S. bases (April 21, 2005)
U.S. forces' priority use of Japan's air and sea ports destroys peace and autonomy -- Akahata editorial, April 23
TAX AND BUSINESS
* Large corporations get 610 billion yen in tax breaks (April 25, 2005)
* Democratic Merchants and Manufacturers Association activists meet in Sendai (April 26, 2005)
Who is the Food Safety Commission collecting opinions on BSE for? -- Akahata editorial, April 20
* JCP slogans for 76th May Day (April 25, 2005)
JAL's cost cutting is compromising safety -- Akahata editorial, April 22
* Citizens meet to foil rightist school testbook to be adopted (April 25, 2005)
*National network formed to discuss public media (April 20, 2005)
* 81 JCP candidates elected in 46 municipalities (April 26, 2005)
Delegation of Vietnam Women's Union visits JCP head office (April 26, 2005)
Copyright (c) Japan Press Service Co., Ltd. All right reserved.