Japan Press Weekly
|Japan Press Service Co., Ltd. is the only news agency providing information of progressive, democratic movements in Japan|
2010 NOVEMBER 24 - NOVEMBER 30
Poverty increases under DPJ gov't
One year has passed since the DPJ replaced the LDP. A move to implement decent work rules has not yet been put on the agenda. More than three million people are still unemployed. Of them, the number of those who have been without jobs for more than one year reached 1.28 million, an increase of 330,000 from the last year and of 490,000 from the year 2008.
Firm local opposition to base relocation within Okinawa shown by Iha's good fight
In the Okinawa gubernatorial election held on November 28, candidate Iha Yoichi, who has led Okinawans' strong opposition to the relocation of the U.S. Futenmba base within the prefecture, fought a close race with Nakaima Hirokazu, who reversed his previous position approving the base transfer within Okinawa right before the election campaign.
North Korea's unlawful act against Armistice Agreement and bilateral agreements
North Korea made its first attack on South Korean territory since the ceasefire ended the Korean War in 1953. Although an attack on the South by a North Korean special armed unit, an accidental gunfight near their military boundary, and an engagement between warships had taken place, North Korea had never before attacked civilian residential zones in South Korea. It is clearly against the Korean War Armistice Agreement and South-North agreements in which North Korea itself is party to.
* Justice Minister resigns but remains unrepentant about his statement: Ichida
* Budget screening casts a shadow on science and technology development - Akahata ecurrent' column
* Poverty increases under DPJ gov't - Akahata editorial (excerpts)
* Revised broadcast law strengthens gov't powers
* DPJ becoming similar to LDP
* US serviceman arrested for trespassing
* Japan sacrificed Okinawa to US even after reversion
50 years of Japan-U.S. Alliance
* Dispatch SDF medics to Afghanistan?
* Reject Japan-Australia ACSA, another military alliance
- Akahata editorial (excerpts)
* Local economic growth without nuclear plants must be ensured: JCP Yoshii
* Lenovo union worker wins revocation of dismissal
* JAL cabin attendants' union sets strike date
* Construction firm once headed by Your Party member donated 10 million yen to Ozawa
* DPJ illegally received donations from foreign organization
* Shii protests North Korean military provocation
* JCP calls for diplomatic and political efforts in response to North Korea's missile attack
* Do they want to increase North-South Korea military tension?
* North Korea's unlawful act against Armistice Agreement and bilateral agreements
* JCP Shii calls for government effort to open emergency meeting of Six- Party Talks
* Japanese and US gov'ts must accept Okinawans' consensus opposing new base construction within prefecture: Ichida
* Firm local opposition to base relocation within Okinawa shown by Iha's good fight
* Anti-base candidate wins in Ginowan mayoral race
* Shii talks with Palestinian prime minister
* JCP not to take part in ceremony commemorating 120th anniversary of parliament
* JCP Dietmembers attend joint meeting of Japanese and South Korean lawmaker groups
Copyright © Japan Press Service Co., Ltd. All right reserved