2004 JUNE 23 - JUNE 29 NEWS
WHO IS CALLING FOR MEANINGFUL REFORM?
The House of Councilors election set for July 11 was officially announced on June 24 and party leaders kicked off their campaigns with a speech in Tokyo, Osaka, and other major cities.
DEMOCRATIC PARTY'S AMBIVALENCE ON SDF PARTICIPATION IN MULTINATIONAL FORCE
The DPJ president is trying to impress the public on how strong the DPJ opposition is to the SDF participation in the multinational force in Iraq, but the DPJ has been an advocate of SDF participation in UN missions.
GOVERNMENT MUST ACT TO PROVIDE YOUNG PEOPLE WITH DECENT JOBS
It is irresponsible of Prime Minister Koizumi to shift the blame of the high unemployment rate among the young people for their lack of ability or willingness, or both.
SIX PARTY TALKS
* JCP Shii comments on 6-party talks on N-Korean nuclear programs
UPPER HOUSE ELECTION
* JCP starts campaigning for July 11 Upper House election
Who is calling for meaningful reform plans? -- Akahata editorial, June 25
* DPJ drafting amendment to remove Article 9 from Constitution
* Fuwa explains why Constitution must be defended
* Pressured by U.S., LDP, Komei and DPJ call for Article 9 to be revised
* Shii denounces Koizumi's call for constitutional revision aimed at 'collective defense' with U.S. forces
SDF IN MULTINATIONAL FORCE
* JCP Shii says SDF participation in multinational force in Iraq raises three major questions
Democratic Party's ambivalence on SDF participation in MNF? -- Akahata editorial, June 29
Strengthening of USFJ must be foiled -- Akahata editorial, June 23
* Two U.S. soldiers use violence
* Okinawa commemorates 59th anniversary of the end of the Battle of Okinawa
* JCP branch at MMC opposes plant closure
* Flight attendants in child-rearing years sue JAL
* Government to remove regulations on working hours
Government must act to provide young people with decent jobs -- Akahata editorial, June 26 (excerpts)
* Unpaid overtime work in Mazda decreased by efforts of workers and JCP
* Shii calls for economic policy change to help small businesses and create stable jobs
* Government hid birthrate for passage of pension cut bill
NUCLEAR WEAPONS ABOLITION
* Defend constitutional principles of peace and abolish nuclear weapons - A preview of 2004 World Conference
* Gensuikyo representative calls for nuclear weapons abolition in Barcelona peace forum
* JCP sends message to Communist Party of Slovakia 5th Congress
Copyright (c) Japan Press Service Co., Ltd. All right reserved.