2004 NOVEMBER 17 - NOVEMBER 23 NEWS
EXTENDED SDF DEPLOYMENT WITHOUT DIET DEBATES IS UNACCEPTABLE
JCP Chair Shii Kazuo on November 17 demanded that the two weeks left for the current Diet session be used to discuss Japan's Iraq policy and the proposed extension of deployment of the SDF in Iraq.
LDP PLAN FOR CONSTITUTIONAL CHANGE WILL DESTROY DEMOCRACY AND PEACE
The Liberal Democratic Party has published an outline for constitutional revision that would make it possible to mobilize the Japanese people for war.
FUWA AND HIS WIFE ATTEND DINNER WITH DANISH QUEEEN
JCP Central Committee Chair Fuwa Tetsuzo is the first JCP leader to receive an invitation from a foreign royal household to attend a dinner given by a visiting queen or king.
LDP plan for constitutional change will destroy democracy and peace -- Akahata editorial, November 20
SDF in Iraq
* Extended SDF deployment without Diet debates is unacceptable: Shii (November 18)
New Defense Program
New National Defense Program imposing new role on Japan in serving U.S. forces under transformation -- Akahata editorial, November 18
* Local government and residents to jointly protest against U.S. army command relocation to their city (November 17)
* Agency pushes geological research for Nago's new base (November 17)
* Mayor in court criticizes U.S. military housing plan (November 17)
* Government seeks easing arms export ban (November 20)
Oppose easing arms sales ban -- Akahata editorial, November 22
JAPAN PEACE CONFERENCE
* Peace activists from S. Korea, Philippines, U.S., and Japan discuss anti-U.S. base solidarity (November 20)
* Japan Peace Conference 2004 held in Sasebo (November 22)
* JCP relieved to see Chinese submarine affair resolved constructively (November 17)
* Local suffrage must reach all permanent foreign residents: JCP (November 17)
* Government and ruling parties approve plan to cut subsidies to local governments (November 19)
* JCP representative in parliament calls for higher punitive surcharge for antitrust law violation (November 19)
* Insurance agency overpaid NTT Data Corp. for contract without bidding (November 17)
* JCP proposes 5 points to improve the nursing care insurance system (November 19)
* Tokyo Electric Power Company to pay 1.4 billion yen for unpaid overtime work (November 19)
* National working women's meeting held in Nagano (November 22)
* Police inspector admits to shadowing government employee (November 17)
* JCP Chair Fuwa and his wife attend dinner with Danish queen (November 18)
Copyright (c) Japan Press Service Co., Ltd. All right reserved.