Japan Press Weekly
[Advanced search]
Past issues
Special issues
Fact Box
Feature Articles
Mail to editor
Mail magazine
HOME  > Past issues  > 2024 February 28 - March 5  > Compensation for noise pollution at US bases totals about \70.4 billion
> List of Past issues
Bookmark and Share
2024 February 28 - March 5 TOP3 [US FORCES]

Compensation for noise pollution at US bases totals about \70.4 billion

February 29, 2024

The government paid a total of about 70.4 billion yen in compensation for noise-pollution damages to the residents who had filed lawsuits against the ear-splitting roar of U.S. military aircraft.

A written response approved at a Cabinet meeting on February 27 to a question by a Constitutional Democratic Party of Japan lawmaker revealed this fact.

Article 18 of the Japan-U.S. Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA) requires that 75% of compensation for an accident or crime caused by U.S. personnel on duty be paid by the U.S. government and the remaining 25% be paid by Japan. However, Japan paid the full amount, including about 52.8 billion yen that the U.S. side should have paid, according to the written response.

Over noise pollution caused by U.S. military aircraft, lawsuits seeking injunctions against flights and compensation for the noise damage have been underway in many courts in Japan. So far, a judgement ordering the payment of compensation to plaintiffs has been issued in lawsuits involving five U.S. bases: Kadena Air Base (Okinawa Pref.), Air Station Futenma (Okinawa Pref.), Yokota Air Base (Tokyo), Air Facility Atsugi (Kanagawa Pref.). and Air Station Iwakuni (Yamaguchi Pref.)
> List of Past issues
  Copyright (c) Japan Press Service Co., Ltd. All right reserved