2005 FEBRUARY 9 - FEBRUARY 15 NEWS
CHANCE TO TURN TO PEACE AND CO-EXISTENCE BETWEEN ISRAEL AND PALESTINE
The first test will be whether the two governments can abide by the cease-fire. In order to secure the cease-fire and peace in the Middle East, the U.S. responsibility is extremely serious.
TRANSFORMING JAPAN-U.S. ALLIANCE ONLY INCREASES TENSION IN ASIA
Japan-U.S. security is entering a critical stage. It is wrong to view the Asian situation as one that needs to be dealt with by military force. The task is for Japan to work in favor of the tide promoting peace in Asia.
WORKERS WANT TOYOTA MOTORS TO ACCEPT SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
'Only decent workplace can produce safe cars,' 'Longer working hours lead to more deaths.' Voices of 1,500 workers resounded through a factory of Toyota Motor Corporation, the giant carmaker that earned a net profit of one trillion yen last year while cutting the wages of its workers.
* JCP: Government bill will destroy nursing-care system (February 9)
* JCP lawmaker urges Koizumi to investigate donations to LDP politicians (February 9)
* Shii criticizes money-driven politics of big parties (February 10)
NATIONAL FOUNDATION DAY
* Citizens' rallies in opposition to 'National Foundation Day' (February 12)
* 'Enigmatic Japan' discussed at Japan P.E.N. Club public assembly (February 14)
* Both LDP and DPJ want Japan to exercise right of collective self-defense (February 14)
Chance to turn to peace and co-existence between Israel and Palestine -- Akahata editorial, February 10
Security Treaty system
Transforming Japan-U.S. alliance only increases tension in Asia -- Akahata editorial, February 12 (excerpts)
* 300-day Okinawans' struggle against U.S. base construction (February 14)
* U.S. plan to deploy nuclear carrier to Yokosuka may stir Japan's anti-nuclear sentiment (February 14)
* Mayor expresses opposition to nuclear-powered aircraft carrier deployment at Yokosuka (February 15)
* Remove U.S. Futenma Air Station to ease Okinawans' burden: JCP in parliament (February 15)
* JCP to North Korea: Give up nuclear weapons (February 12)
* JCP wins a single-seat constituency in a local election (February 15)
* Tokyo uses more for development projects than welfare services (February 9)
* Teachers union resolves to increase struggle to defend equality in education and peace (February 15)
* Gensuikyo sent a letter to NPT Chair (February 9)
* Hibakusha to hold A-bomb exhibition at U.N. headquarters during NPT conference (February 10)
Don't develop 'usable' nuclear bunker buster -- Akahata editorial, February 15 (excerpts)
* Workers want Toyota Motors to accept social responsibility (February 12)
* JCP chair attends event marking Iranian revolution (February 12)
Copyright (c) Japan Press Service Co., Ltd. All right reserved.